Skip to content
Click to Call
Reinas Insurance Agency Inc

2100 E Foothill Blvd
Pasadena, CA 91107

Get Directions

3634 Baldwin Park Blvd
Baldwin Park, CA 91706

Get Directions
California Commercial insurance coverage

Request a Quote

Boat/Watercraft Insurance in California

In sunny California, boat and watercraft owners can easily enjoy their watercrafts year-round. Although boat/watercraft insurance isn't a legal requirement in California, boat insurance may be required to use many marinas to dock your watercraft. Our Reinas Insurance Agency Inc. team is dedicated to helping Pasadena, CA watercraft owners understand California watercraft laws and get the insurance coverage they need.

Boating and Watercraft Laws in California

Boat owners aren't legally required to carry boat insurance in California. However, as of 2018, all California boaters must carry the California Boater Card issued by the DBW/California State Parks Division for Boating and Waterways. The California Boater Card is proof that a boater has taken and passed the state-approved boater safety exam or the NASBLA. It should also be noted that boaters must carry their boating card while using their boat or watercraft. Failure to obtain a boating card could result in fines if caught using your boat/watercraft without one.

Boat/watercraft owners are also required by state law to register their watercraft with the DMV if the watercraft is over 8 feet long and has a motor. These requirements apply to jet skis and smaller watercraft as well. Also, if you plan to operate your watercraft in fresh water, your watercraft must have a Quagga sticker. However, if you plan to operate your watercraft in marine waters only or have an exemption, you don't need to display a Quagga decal on your watercraft. These requirements must be met to operate your motor craft on California waterways legally.

California Boating and Watercraft Age Requirements

California law requires anyone who operates a boat or watercraft (15 HP or more) to be 16 years of age or older. Anyone younger must have an adult with a boater's card present when operating/using a watercraft. If you're interested in boating/watercraft recreation, call us. We'd happily help you explore your options and answer your questions.


Right 1st image

Locally owned and operated

Right 2nd image

Policies that meet & exceed expectations

Right 3rd image

Get an Annual Policy review


  • California